Wednesday

Morning Rant: In Honor of Tupac Shakur


In the Event of My Demise

In the event of my Demise
when my heart can beat no more
I Hope I Die For A Principle
or A Belief that I had Lived 4
I will die Before My Time
Because I feel the shadow's Depth
so much I wanted 2 accomplish
before I reached my Death
I have come 2 grips with the possibility
and wiped the last tear from My eyes
I Loved All who were Positive
In the event of my Demise

Tupac Shakur


Brilliant as this poem is, I often look at the slain rapper's life and question why he had to die in such a horrible and despicable way. Tupac Shakur's gift to the world extended far beyond his rap lyrics; but in an industry that barely recognizes true artistry Shakur's gift was often hidden away. The facade of Tupac Shakur the "gangsta" never seemed real to me, and as with most rapper's who act real tough and hard their intellect usually gives them away.

I realize that having a rap sheet as long as your arm or being shot 9x is considered credible to be a rapper, but why? Why do we allow these fake people to invade our ears and mind? Why do you have to put on an act to just be heard, when in the end all you wanna do is talk about your experiences and take on life? I am sick of today's rapper's. I am sick of all the flash and throw away lyrics? I am sick of the false images? But what I am sick of most is people saying hip-hop/rap is dead.

Hip-hop will never die and if you look hard, which I have, you will find the steady heart beat of hip-hop. Sometimes this beat is found in a local group, an underground artist with a small but dedicated following, or in another country. No matter what the media tries to project, never forget that hip-hop is forever and it will never fade away or die.

The Intellect

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin