Friday

The New Mammy????

By now I hope you have all seen new Popeye's commercial featuring "Annie the Chicken Queen." Yes YGT readers, they really named her Annie the Chicken Queen. At first I really didn't think anything about this commercial, because out of all the Popeye's that I have been to I have never seen a black cook in the back making gourmet chicken for my enjoyment. So in the beginning the commercial was already no believable for I just disregarded it, but as I was watching television last night I really got into Ms. Annie.

Needless to say I was a little insulted and disgusted that racist stereotypes are still being used to sell products. Thanks to my DVR system I was able to really get into "Auntie" Annie and analyze her and here are some of the thoughts I had about her:

1. Why does she talk like that? I have been in the South going on 3 years now and I have yet to encounter anyone sassy Black woman who talks in that plantation-coonish manner. I have ran into my fair share of no nonsense southern women but with our without an accent, they don't sound like Mammy, I mean Annie.

2. Does using stereotypes, racist or not, work in the advertising world?
Apparently they do. Because when you can go into the store and still buy rice with Uncle Ben on it or get you some pancake batter from Aunt Jemima, then I guess stereotypes are not that noticeable to everyone.

3. Why is this women's name Annie the Chicken Queen?
Could she simply not be called Annie, or Annie~Head Chef, or Annie~Popeye's Franchise Owner?

These were just some of my concerns, but what do you think YGT readers? Peep the commercial below and tell me what you think.


The Intellect

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin