Monday

HIP-HOP, IT AIN'T DEAD YET!


If you haven't noticed lately I haven't been posting as much. Sorry for this, but it seems the library has been holding me hostage; that plus having two majors, a job and active social calender as prevented me from giving you YGT followers a tase of the intellect. Anyway, I digress. This post is about what gives me sanity through all the many things I have to do in a day, week, or sometimes afternoon. Music is my sanity, real hip-hop to be exact.

For awhile I, like most people, thought hip-hop was dead and most good music came from so-called white genres(currently working on a post about "supposed" white/black music). But lately I have discovered that hip-hop has not died, it has just gone underground. I have discovered three amazing acts in the past couple of weeks, and I thought it should only be fair to share them with the YGT readers. Here they are enjoy!!

1. The Foreign Exchange: I have to thank YGT reader Braxton for this duo. Based out of Raleigh, NC and the Netherlands this duo consist of Little Brother member Phonte and Dutch producer Nicolay. What I love about them is Phonte's smooth melodic flow over Nicolay's even smoother beats. Check out their song Leave It All Behind off their new album.


Leave It All Behind - The Foreign Exchange

2. Yazarah: Another heavy hitter that is on constant rotation in my Ipod. I discovered after listen to The Foreign Exchange and was amazed to see her background. Anybody who can go toe to toe with Ms. E. Badu is worthy,in my book, for a listen.

YAHZARAH is MS PURPLE SAINT JAMES

3. Darien Brockington: If you love Raheem Devaugh, Dwele, D'Angelo, then you will love this North Carolina native. Enough said, just listen.

Beautiful - Darien Brockington

4. Wale: Last, but certainly not leat, Wale is offically putting D.C hip-hop on the map. Although Wale has been out for awhile, I am still putting him in the underground category until his first major label debut drops this year. His new song with Lady Gaga proves that Wale is one to watch for in 2009. Now I would normally give you his new stuff, but I'm gonna be different and give you some vintage tea on Wale.

Breakdown (prod. by HitterQuitter Boyz) - Wale

If you feeling these artist and you are in the North Caronlina area, they will all be in Carrboro, NC for show at the Cat's Cradle this month. Check the website for ticket info, you already know I will be in the builidng.

Peace,

The Intellect

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin