Wednesday

Confronting Ignorance pt 1


Waking up this morning and coming to work felt the same as it always did, I was tired and did not want to be here. But as I walked through the doors of my government office and saw maintenance replacing the picture of former President Bush with President Barack Obama I felt rejuvenated. I know that today and all the days that follow will bring new beginnings. As I walk around the office talking to co-workers who, although are all older than me since I am the youngest person in the office, share in the same excitement and renewed spirit that I feel. But like in all things new, there will be those who will try to resist this change and who will try to hinder or dampen the spirits of us all. So I ask this question to everyone reading this: How do we confront ignorance in this new age of President Barack Obama?

Yesterday when I was watching the Swearing-In ceremony, I felt a sense of pride and hope that I had never felt before in my life. Not only was a black man being ushered into the highest office in this country, but he had the love and support of a "real" black family. The women to his left holding the Bible that he took his oath on was not some token trophy wife, but a woman who had worked hard to overcome obstacles and received the best education that this country had to offer. Moreover, standing right in front of him as he took this oath were his two adorable daughters; young women who will never know what it means to not have a strong black man in their life, and with the world at their feet they have two strong parents who know how to bring them back to reality. This picture has inspired me beyond belief, but again I have to ask: How do we confront ignorance?

At the same time I was witnessing this historic event, I was sitting in my apartment with my two roommates, both of whom are white but are split politically. Although in my opinion their race or political affiliation did not enter into my mind on this day, a comment made by the Republican roommate did. While watching President Obama get sworn in, she made the comment "what if when he says the word execute, someone just EXECUTED him?" At that moment my mind was so into what was happening in D.C. that her words did not register and I quickly dismissed them. But a whole 24 hours later, her words have hit my like a ton of bricks.

Now I am left thinking: "How could someone say such a thing? How should I handle this situation, now that it has clearly affected me? What should be the response we all take when faced with something like this?"

Now that Barack Obama is our president, my generation will face racial challenges that we have never faced before. How will you react when you experience blatant racism or insensitivity in your face? How will you act when people start showing their true character, and political correctness is pushed to the side?

These are my questions. My thoughts will follow tomorrow.

Respond; let me know what you think


The Intellect

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin